Milwaukee Health Services, Inc. (MHSI) is a Federally Qualified Community Health Center (FQHC) that operates from two (2) sites: The Isaac Coggs Heritage Health Connection at 8200 W. Silver Spring Drive and the MLK Heritage Health Center at 2555 N. Martin Luther King Drive. MHSI offers a range of primary health care services including Medical, Dental, Behavioral, Women’s Health, Benefit Determination, and Pharmacy. FQHCs service everyone regardless of income, or third party coverage, and seek to provide high quality care in accessible locations and at convenient times. Our particular sites primarily target the residents of Milwaukee’s north side, but service patients countywide. FQHCs are unique in their delivery of care, patient population and provision of services. FQHCs seek to provide quality care in an underserved area to the uninsured populations that would otherwise not have access to care.
Responsible and accountable for providing a high quality of nursing care to patients by working in a collaborative role with medical support staff, nurses and other health care providers, through the application of nursing care. The successful candidate for this position should be able to lead the department's support staff and regularly partner with the center's Nursing manager to improve Access (workflow), Quality and Customer Service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement nursing measures for the comfort and well being of the patient. Prepare patient and equipment and assist medical staff during treatments, examinations, and minor surgical procedures, as needed.
- Measure and document vital signs, implement nursing measures, as needed. Report abnormalities to the appropriate medical provider.
- Accessible to immediate clinic area for administration of medications and during emergency situations
- Act as a resource to medical support staff. Collaborate with medical staff in carrying out delegated patient care activities.
- Based on established protocols, administer oral, subcutaneous, intradermal, intramuscular, and all intravenous medications.
- Provide complete, accurate documentation of nursing assessment, nursing advice, and medication administration.
- Seek educational opportunities to increase clinical competence, personal and professional growth through in-house education materials, conferences, and community resources.
- Notify patient of diagnostic test results. Communicate abnormal results to the appropriate medical staff for input prior to contacting patient.
- Oversee and assist in general upkeep of patient service area.
- Handle telephone interactions in a professional manner. Perform triage duties, in person and over the phone. Assess urgency of patient's symptoms and facilitates patient access to appropriate medical services either within the clinic, affiliated facilities, or hospital. Document and relay messages appropriately
- MUST BE KNOWLEDGEABLE OF EMR SYSTEM.. GE CENTRICITY A MAJOR PLUS.. MUST BE WILLING TO WORK IN VARIOUS DEPARTMENTS
- Perform other related job duties, as may be assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduate of an accredited RN nursing program. Current RN license in the State of Wisconsin. 2-4 years of general nursing in a clinic or hospital setting, and previous experience with patients of all age groups.
Excellent -interpersonal skills and empathy towards patients. Able to develop teaching sessions, as needed. Must be able to adapt to changing situations and circumstances. Must be willing and able to assume and delegate the responsibilities assigned, as a member of the health care team to provide safe, efficient, and effective nursing care
EEO/AA: Milwaukee Health Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Milwaukee Health Services complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.