Our Power Business Unit is looking for our next Senior Cost Accountant who thrives in a role that involves analysis and problem solving. The role involves spending significant time in accounting operations at our plants and working on inventory projects. You'll have the chance to visit plants, learn about our manufacturing processes, and be part of developing the foundational processes and procedures for the business unit. You'll also take ownership of your work with opportunity to grow with the organization.
Supports the Power business unit through leading and performing complex accounting functions such as month-end closing, reporting, analysis of operations and other financial analysis process-related activities.
- Performs and leads month-end closing of varying complexity which includes: calculating accrual/reserve balances and discussing calculations with management for subjective nature accounts to arrive at decision; analyzing general ledger account data for accuracy and adjusting accounts if necessary; booking various other journal entries and statistical key figures.
- Prepares complex reports daily, weekly and monthly which may include but not be limited to sales, inventory, production, raw material purchasing and cost of quality.
- Reviews variance account posting for accuracy throughout the month and corrects system transactions. Reviews detail of accounts and follows-up on month-end closing items when necessary. Reviews account reconciliations on a monthly basis and maintains a log of sign-offs for Sarbanes Oxley compliance.
- Performs financial analysis and communicates findings to enable management to make informed business decisions and take action.
- Identifies and recommends improvements for managerial and operational controls.
- Works with external auditors quarterly and at year-end; includes providing audit work papers as well as requested supporting documentation, walks auditors through calculations and provides data for various other detail testing on warranty, title transfers, price testing and inventory cut-offs.
- Oversees and guides work of Financial Analysts
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Skills Requirements
- Comprehensive understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Strong analytical skills necessary to review/analyze accounting and financial data, substantiate financial statement balances and prepare financial statement account reconciliation
- High ability to identify, measure, evaluate & improve, if necessary, the effectiveness of accounting, financial, managerial and operational controls
- Strong verbal & written communication & interpersonal skills to interact with a diverse group of people in a team environment
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to interface with all levels
- Advanced computer skills specifically advanced knowledge of and experience working with spreadsheet software
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple projects with a strong attention to accuracy and detail
- Fluent in English and primary language used in area of responsibility and/or location
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field, or equivalent education and experience
- Minimum of three years accounting and/or finance experience
- Cost accountingexperience
- Manufacturing industry experience
- Ability to travel as needed up to 25%
Briggs & Stratton, headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, provides innovative products and diverse power solutions to help people get work done. Briggs & Stratton is the world's largest producer of engines for outdoor power equipment, and is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of lithium-ion battery, standby generator, energy storage system, lawn and garden, turf care and job site products through its Briggs & Stratton, Vanguard, Ferris, Simplicity, Snapper, Billy Goat, Allmand, SimpliPhi, Branco and Victa brands. Briggs & Stratton products are designed, manufactured, marketed and serviced in more than 100 countries on six continents.
Briggs & Stratton is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. The Company conducts all employment practices without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law. Briggs & Stratton also undertakes affirmative action to assure equal employment opportunity for minorities and women, for persons with disabilities, and for protected veterans.
Briggs & Stratton Corporation is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. The Company conducts all employment practices without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran's status, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law. Briggs & Stratton also undertakes affirmative action to assure equal employment opportunity for minorities and women, for persons with disabilities, and for protected veterans.