A Place Where People Matter.
Start your career journey with Univar Solutions! Here you can make an impact on the world around you and accelerate your career in areas that energize and excite you.
The Accounting Policy & Research Manager is a key role and member within the Corporate Controller's group that supports the technical accounting and research activities specific to treasury transactions & activities. This position is primarily responsible for advising, reviewing, and concluding upon technical accounting matters to internal and external stakeholders. This role is designed as an individual contributor that will collaborate directly with the business and larger Controllership team on technical accounting and policy issues. This position reports to the Senior Manager - Accounting Policy & Research.
This is a new role to the Controllership organization due to the growth of the Company and a desire to improve controls associated with complex business transactions. The Manager will be expected to develop and improve upon existing processes & polices.
This role is designated as a hybrid working arrangement out of our Downers Grove, IL Corporate headquarters.
- Advisor to the organization on technical accounting concepts and accounting policy application & best practices.
- Perform professional accounting research on accounting matters raised by management or the field.
- Work closely with the business to review new/revised contracts, or other source materials, to conclude upon the proper accounting treatment in accordance with professional accounting standards.
- Responsible for accounting conclusions regarding new, unusual, or nonroutine business transactions; including coordination with field/finance personnel, transaction source material analysis, professional accounting research, and memo/source documentation of accounting conclusions.
- Prepare source materials and accounting memos to support technical accounting conclusions.
- Partner with policy owners to develop, implement, and operationalize new financial policies.
- Ensure existing financial policies are clear, accurate, and current with respect to U.S. GAAP requirements.
- Facilitate global training webinars on accounting policies and procedures as a technical accounting subject matter expert.
- Own the preparation of select financial statements to support quarterly & annual SEC financial reporting requirements (e.g., Statement of Cash Flows).
- Responsible for the preparation of select footnotes and other areas requiring technical expertise to support quarterly & annual SEC financial reporting requirements.
- Responsible for collaborating with the SEC reporting team regarding new and/or enhanced 10-Q/K presentation & disclosure requirements due to unique/unusual business transactions.
- Assist in reviews of external filings to provide policy viewpoints and technical accounting support.
- Track standard setter updates and potential impacts to the Company.
- Review new accounting pronouncement and perform assessments to determining the accounting, policy, and SEC reporting & disclosure impacts.
- Aid in the adoption and implementation of ASU's.
- Direct and guide the Company's local accounting and financial reporting team's regarding compliance with accounting/finance policies, SEC reporting requirements, and overall adherence with U.S. GAAP.
- Provide guidance to international operations related to local / U.S. GAAP conversion and other technical matters.
- Collaborate with business unit and corporate departments to ensure routine and nonroutine financial results are complete and accurate.
- Partner with internal/external stakeholders, including auditors, and other functional areas within the Company regarding unique transactions, evolving accounting rules & regulations, and process improvements.
- Involved in special projects across the Company, as needed.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Accounting
- CPA required, with maintenance of minimum CPEs
- 5+ years accounting experience
- Public company experience, either through direct work experience or audit
- Big 4 public accounting experience preferred
- Strong technical accounting (U.S. GAAP) and SEC regulation & reporting knowledge
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational / project management skills
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize and meet deadlines
- Possess strong work ethic and commitment to completing responsibilities in a deadline driven environment
- Solid understanding of internal controls
- Ability to understand and interpret legal documents (e.g., customer contracts, credit agreements)
- Ability to think critically with strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with various levels of operational and corporate management teams
- Ability to influence people and processes without direct responsibility
- Able to use Microsoft Office products (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and advanced skill utilizing Microsoft Excel
- Positive attitude and personality
Univar Solutions is a leading, global distributor of chemicals and ingredients essential to the safety, health, and wellbeing of our daily lives from life-saving medicines and vitamins to hand sanitizers and industrial materials used for cleaning, construction, and more. Our global team of more than 10,000 employees support our vision to redefine distribution and be the most valued chemical and ingredient distributor on the planet!
We offer a Total Rewards package that includes market aligned pay and incentives as well as a diverse benefits offering to support our employees' physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing.
Univar Solutions supports sustainable solutions for the world around us so that we can do our part to help keep our communities healthy, fed, clean, and safe!
We are committed to a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusion. Together, we are building a culture that acknowledges the unique experiences, perspectives and expertise of individuals and provides the development and growth opportunities to empower us to redefine our industry.
Univar Solutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification.
Univar is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.