Join the #1 hospital in Wisconsin!
We are seeking a Corporate Counsel to:
- Assist and manage the many and varied legal affairs of UW Health.
- Negotiate, draft, and review contracts and other legal documents, including merger, acquisition, and other corporate transaction documents, real estate leases, property and asset acquisitions, purchasing, joint ventures, managed care, physician services, licenses and other intellectual property agreements, academic affiliations, and financing and bond documentation.
- Provide counsel on health care laws including those on privacy, Medicare, Medicaid and other government programs, fraud and abuse, physician self-referral and anti-kickback laws, and EMTALA.
Minimum - Juris Doctorate or equivalent law degree.
Minimum - At least five (5) years of experience advising on a broad range of legal matters.
- Experience advising hospitals and other health care providers, specifically academic medical centers on a broad range of health law.
- Corporate transactional experience.
- Experience with Medicare/Medicaid billing issues and appeals.
Licenses and Certifications:
Minimum - Admission (or eligibility for admission) to the Wisconsin and Illinois Bar.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of laws and accreditation standards governing the delivery of healthcare by providers and suppliers, including hospitals, physicians, ambulatory surgery centers, and dialysis facilities.
- Knowledge of legal issues pertaining to antitrust, acquisitions and other transactions, real estate, tax, and intellectual property.
- Experience in fraud and abuse, physician self-referral, anti-kickback, privacy, billing and reimbursement, and patient care issues.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Effective human relations abilities:
- Ability to effect collaborative alliances and promote teamwork
- Ability to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction both internally and externally
- Effective persuasion and negotiation skills
- Effective interpersonal skills including the ability to work closely with healthcare providers, academic personnel, and all levels of management, administration, and leadership
- Effective leadership skills which demonstrate the ability to participate in innovation and change, strategic thinking, and problem solving.
- Superior communication skills in both written and verbal presentation, including all aspects of legal writing technique and procedure, and the ability to convey complex legal concepts to non-lawyers.
- Ability to function effectively and complete projects in a timely manner in a fast-paced and changing environment with multiple priorities and objectives.
Sedentary: Ability to lift up to 10 pounds maximum and occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as dockets, ledgers and small tools. Although a sedentary job is defined as one, which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and other sedentary criteria are met.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
UW Health is committed to being a diverse, equitable, inclusive and ant-racist workplace and is an Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Our integrity shines through in patient care interactions and our daily work practices as we work to embrace the knowledge, unique perspectives and qualities each employee and faculty member brings to work each day. Applications from Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) individuals, women, and LGBTQ+ and non-binary identities are strongly encouraged. EOE, including disability/vets.
This is a full-time, 1.0 FTE position that is scheduled to work Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with an on-call schedule. Hours may vary based upon the operational needs of the department.
UW Health Administrative Facilities - UW Health has administrative locations throughout Madison and beyond where thousands of employees provide vital support to our clinical areas. These locations are home to departments such as Access Services, Compliance, Human Resources, Information Services, Patient Medical Records, Payroll and many others.