Marine Dock Operator (In-Plant)
Petroleum Service Corporation is seeking a Marine Dock Operator to join our team at a petrochemical plant / refinery in Portland, TX. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys working independently and outdoors around the waterways. The Dock Operator serves as the person-in-charge of the dock and assists the Tankerman with the safe transfer of oil products and chemicals to and from barges and/or ships. Dock Operation (PIC) experience is preferred.This is a regular full-timeposition with potential advancement opportunities. If you're looking for a stable, long-term career in a booming industry, then consider joining the PSC family!
Work Schedule:12 hour rotating shift work schedule (days and nights)
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Meets with the person-in-charge of the vessel for a pre-transfer conference to determine the facility's expectations, as well as, what is required and expected from the person-in-charge of the vessel to accomplish the transfer in a safe and uninterrupted manner
- Communicates with facility personnel via radio and/or telephone to advise the status of transfer and report any problems that may occur
- Familiar with the facility piping layout to ensure that the proper product and pipeline configuration are utilized in the transfer
- Wears all protective clothing and equipment, including respirator and fresh air equipment that may be required to transfer the product in a manner that insures maximum personal safety.
- Maintains detailed dock logs to ensure all events are recorded in chronological order
- Operates crane, hydraulic, electrical, or mechanical equipment to connect / disconnect the dock arm / hose to the vessel
- Operates manual and/or motor operated valves to control flow of product being transferred
- Gauges barge as directed by facility and procures sample of product from vessel as required by the facility
- Maintains open communication with person-in-charge of the vessel to ensure that the transfer is accomplished in a safe and efficient manner, as planned in the pre-transfer conference
- Interfaces with United States Coast Guard, Department of Agriculture, and/or INS, (all in the case of transfers involving ships), as may be required to clear the vessel for the transfer
- Completes any other duties that may be assigned to complete the job
- One+ years ofDock Operator related experience is preferred.
- Must possess a valid TWIC card and driver's license
- 18 years or older and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Stable work history with good references from past employers
- Pass a drug screen, physical, and background check
- Speak fluent English
- PSC is a veteran-friendly company. Previous military experience and proven ability to follow procedures is a plus.
Why join the PSC team?
- Since 1952, Petroleum Service Corporation has had a strong reputation for quality service, safety, environmental protection, and taking care of our employees.
- We are a leader in product handling and site logistics for refineries, chemical producers, and marine transportation providers.
- The work we do makes a huge impact in our nation's economy. Check out our videos at to learn more.
- Check out our online newsletter "The Connection" which contains articles about our work groups, recognition events, and achievements of our employees and their family members at
- Medical insurance options with the company paying a large portion of the premiums, including affordable dental and vision plans for employees and their families
- Company-paid life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
- Matching 401(k) plan to help employees save money for retirement
- Vacation, sick leave, and holiday benefits (varies by work group)
- Incentives, discounts, and bonuses
- Industry-leading training and development programs
You must be able to:
- Speak, write, read, hear, and have good vision
- Regular on-site attendance and punctuality is required
- Work outside in environmental conditions which at times include extreme heat or extreme cold
- Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) without restriction and pass any medical examination associated with the use of PPE
- Lift 60 to 80 pounds to waist and carry up to 300 feet
- Grip/hold/pull 80 pounds
- Walk one to four miles per job
- Climb stairs and ladders
- Step as much as two feet horizontal and vertical
- Extend arms through normal range of motion while standing and squatting
- Be comfortable around water and heights
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Petroleum Service Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.