Provide holistic nursing care to patients in a correctional setting.
- Assess physical, psychological and social dimensions of patients; obtain health history and provide a written assessment of patients upon admission.
- During confinement, and upon discharge; document and communicate triage decision to appropriate health care provider.
- Develop individual nursing care plan using nursing assessment protocols in consultation with health care providers.
- According to physician orders implement medical care plans to include diagnostic tests, EKGs, etc.
- Administer medications using proper techniques, procedures and approved routes of administration; nutrition and therapeutic diet plans.
- Assist physician in medical or minor surgical procedures as necessary.
- Provide and monitor direct patient care.
- Document nursing encounters utilizing the Problem Oriented Medical Records (POMR) form of charting.
- Maintain accountability of all controlled substances and prescription medications according to federal and state laws, and organizational regulations.
- Coordinate with medial, dental, mental and ancillary personnel as required to ensure continuity of care.
- Follow established policies, procedures, continuous quality improvement and safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Will adhere to Armor's Standards of Professional Conduct, and will incorporate and/or be supportive of Armor's four core FISH! Philosophies - i.e. Play, Be There, Make Their Day and Choose Your Attitude.
- Respond to requests from Security Staff as well as Armor Staff in accordance with Armor and Facility Guidelines. This includes following the rules and regulations for employee conduct/behavior and chain of command set forth by the command staff at all times while working within the detention/correctional facility.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required:
- Ability to follow policies and procedures and adhere to regulatory standards.
- Skill in current nursing practices.
- Knowledge of clinical operations and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to maintain quality, safety and infection control standards.
- Skill in written and verbal communication.
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
- Current state license as a Registered Nurse
- Current CPR certification
- One year experience
- Other relevant professional experiences or educational backgrounds will be considered as deemed appropriate. However, when licensure is required by local, state, federal or contractual guidelines, we will not alter our position on those requirements.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work is performed in a clinical setting
- Work environment involves exposure to conditions such as fumes, noxious odors, dust, mists and gases; contagious or infectious diseases or hazardous chemicals and potentially dangerous situations that may require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.