At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual is seeking an experienced and highly skilled Senior Data Engineer to join our Data & Analytics Engineering team.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Designs and performs data extraction, assessment, translation, transformation, and load (ETL) processes.
- In charge of building data equity, it's underlying code, tools, databases, and related infrastructure.
- Administers and maintains existing data engineering pipelines to their full extent of engineering needs.
- Translates strategic needs into engineering goals and milestones.
- Analyzes data needs and identifies available internal and external sources.
- Utilizes business and analytical data modeling skills to design data integration and structure approaches.
- Utilizes programming skills to access and extract data from diverse sources residing on multiple platforms and implement large, complex data models by combining, synthesizing and structuring data from databases, files and spreadsheets.
- Assures data consistency and reliability. Performs quality checks, contributes to metadata and data dictionaries, documents repeatable extract, transform and load processes.
- Provides coaching and guidance to less experienced engineers.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in data engineering
- Data systems architecture experience, designing larger scale data engineering solutions, break down to smaller goals, prioritization
- Experience with relational data engineering eco systems (preferably complex disbursed data)
- Code/ETL knowledge in SQL and one or more of the following Informatica, python, scala, java, Bash, SnapLogic
- Analytics understanding is a must, past experience a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Can execute alone but is an awesome team player
Experience with Agile methodologies/Dev Ops environment.
Master's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related field
Database administration experience
Financial Services industry background
Cloud experience a strong plus
Project management experience (ability to work a project from conception to delivery)
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.