At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
Northwestern Mutual(NM) has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for over 161 years. Through a distinctive, whole-picture planning approach including both insurance and investments, we empower people to be financially confident. We combine the expertise of our financial professionals with a personalized digital experience and leading-edge technology to best serve our clients.
Data is a critical driver of this approach and a cornerstone for how NM engages with its customers. To help lead the effort, NM's Chief Data Officer (CDO) is seeking a highly strategic, analytical, organized, and motivated Senior Director, Data Analytics Engineering to lead and manage teams that aggregate, transform and manage NM's enterprise data for both descriptive and predictive analytics.
You will lead a team of Data Analytics Engineers and Machine Learning Engineers in NM's newly formed Core Data & Analytics department (CDA). You will collaborate with Data Scientists, Analytics Analysts, and Business Analysts throughout the organization to help unlock the value of NM's data through insights, predictive analytics, and operationalized data science. You will lead the development of NM's Enterprise Data Warehouse, aggregating data from throughout the company into a single customer view. You will lead the development of a Business Intelligence (BI) function that provides self-service tooling that empowers the organization, while providing governed access to canonical data for analytics to ensure consistency of key data entities throughout the enterprise.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Hire and lead a team of data analytics engineers in the development of data pipelines that transform and aggregate data from throughout NM's systems into an enterprise data warehouse
- Lead the development of a data analytics ecosystem that incorporates both an EDW and Data Marts
- Build and evolve NM's data science/ML platforms, with a focus on rapid iteration and operational deployment of predictive models
- Evaluate and make the call on technical solutions, architecture, and platforms
- Accelerate NM's ability to ingest and aggregate data from external data sources, consolidate with internal data, and leverage to drive insights
- Architect BI solutions that accommodate a de-centralized business analytics organization.
- Develop an organizational structure and operating model in which data engineers thrive in cross-functional teams (with analysts, data scientists, etc) that are embedded and dedicated to business and product areas
- In collaboration with the CDO, lead strategic planning, roadmap development, and operational planning for your teams
You will know you are successful if
- NM's data analytics platforms make step function advancements under your leadership, with major EDW and BI platform delivery milestones in 2020 and beyond
- The value of NM's data is unlocked through both descriptive enterprise reporting and operationalized predictive analytics
- You successfully collaborate with your peers to deliver solutions that successfully combine new platforms and older systems
- You don't just move data from source to target, you have a deep understanding of the business context, reflected in your teams' transformation of data into data models optimized for analysis and BI
- Your stakeholders are delighted by the excellence, impact, and delivery-focused mindset of your team
- 8+years in Data Engineering, with 4+ years leading teams
- Deep public cloud experience (AWS preferred) is a must
- Expert in leading teams that implement both streaming (e.g. Kafka, Kinesis) and batch (e.g. Airflow, AWS Glu, Informatica) data transport technologies
- Deep expertise in Cloud Data Warehouse technology (e.g. Redshift, Snowflake) and/or managing an enterprise data lake
- Expert in implementing an operating Business Intelligence platform solution and creating self-service solutions with robust metadata layers that empower a dispersed community of business analysts
- Performs work independently as well as a team influencer and team contributor
- Exhibits superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities
- Very comfortable with ambiguity and enjoys creating structure out of chaos
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development methodology
- Delivers excellent verbal and written communication to include expression of facts and ideas, interpretation of information and the ability to make clear and convincing presentation
- Ability to navigate the levels of audiences and articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Sets and manage priorities judiciously
- Maintains strong self-motivation and team motivation through high degrees of collaboration
- Experience deploying, and operating machine learning pipelines
- Experience working in a hybrid (on-prem and cloud) infrastructure environment
This job is not covered by the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement.Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.