TOOL ROOM MACHINIST
$25 to $30 per hour
Purpose: Produces machined parts by programming, setting up, and operating manual and computer numerical control (CNC) machines maintaining quality and safety standards; keeping records; maintaining equipment and supplies.
- Plans machining by studying work orders, blueprints, engineering plans, materials, specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters; interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T).
- Plans stock inventory by checking stock to determine amount available; anticipating needed stock; placing and expediting orders for stock; verifying receipt of stock.
- Programs mills and lathes by entering instructions, including zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; calculating requirements, including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry; proving part programs.
- Sets-up mills and lathes by installing and adjusting three- and four-jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops, and stock pushers; indicating vices; trimming heads.
- Loads feed mechanism by lifting stock into position.
- Verifies settings by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample work pieces; adhering to international standards.
- Maintains specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; adjusting and reprogramming controls; sharpening and replacing worn tools; adhering to quality assurance procedures and processes.
- Maintains safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- Maintains equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintains continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Documents actions by completing production and quality logs.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- No direct reports for this position.
Language and Mathematical Skills:
- Ability to interpret and create documents on an Intermediate level.
- Ability to apply mathematical skills on an Intermediate level.
- CAM experience a plus
- SAP a plus
- Microsoft Excel a plus
- Internet Explorer a plus
- HS Diploma/GED
- Minimum of 3 years CNC experience.
- Minimum of 3 years equivalent work experience or journeyman status.
Equipment and other Skills:
- Stand, Sit, Walk, Talk, Use of hands and Reaching – Regularly
- Bend - Frequently
- Stoop, Kneel, Crouch or Crawl - Occasionally
- Clear vision
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Loud noise levels
- Working near moving mechanical parts