AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We're experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands - including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon - is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we are active in over 150 countries and employ around 34,500 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high-performance products and services our customers expect.
This job is for developing new products and / or maintaining existing products; it requests some professional work knowledge and experience to evaluate, select, and apply standard scientific techniques, processes, and criteria in the development, adaptation, and modification of new and existing products and technologies while under the guidance and supervision of Group Leader, Senior Chemist, or similar.
• Complete assigned tasks related to the research and development of new products, new technologies, and updates of existing products using assigned materials and methods.
• Plan/schedule short term (<6 months) activities and assignments and complete assigned tasks according to established plans and priority.
• Provide technical assistance and support to Production, Sales, and Marketing in support of product scale-up, quality control, application testing, and other cross-functional activities.
• Maintains detailed technical records in the form of a Laboratory Notebook or Computer Databases.
• Provide progress reports, monthly and quarterly reports, technical plans, and project summaries to ensure appropriate communication of project status and needs
• Maintain and develop professional contacts including company personnel, vendors, and customers
• Maintain a safe and clean work environment in accordance of company safety rules to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environments and safety regulations
• Participate in Special Teams including safety, HSE, housekeeping, etc. as required
• Performs additional duties as assigned and required
• Travel requirement: <25%
Level of autonomy
• Formulate products, carry out tests and analyze data;
• Plan and execute experiments;
• Collect information
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or a related scientific field with a minimum of 3 years paint and coating related working experience preferred.
• Knowledgeable of materials, products, and technologies frequently used within the scope an assigned project or laboratory group organization.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where standardization exists.
• Ability to understand, interpret, and execute a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, and/or schedule formats.
• Ability to organize and interpret data, and develop insights based on knowledge of chemical structures and reactivity, propose and test hypotheses, and draw conclusions.
• Must have the ability to recognize the primary colors.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Ability to keep detailed records.
• Ability to write reports summarizing data and work results in American English.
• Must be fluent in American English.
• Ability to apply concepts of algebra, basic statistics, and computer spreadsheet calculations.
• Minimally able to use MS Word, Excel, and Outlook at a proficient level.
• Minimally able to perform common tasks utilizing MS PowerPoint, Optiva and SAP.
• Prefer ability to utilize all indicated software at a proficient level.
• The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Regularly required to stand and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tool, or controls, walk and sit, lift objects up to 40 pounds.
• Wear a variety of personal protective equipment including safety glasses, safety shoes, chemical resistant gloves, laboratory coat, and/or positive and negative pressure respirators.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and color vision
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Requisition ID: 3050
Nearest Major Market: Troy
Nearest Secondary Market: Detroit