AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We're experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands - including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon - is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we are active in over 150 countries and employ around 34,500 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high-performance products and services our customers expect.
The Development and Solutions Lab Manager, North America position contributes to the implementation of BU strategy and takes a lead in defining the R&D agenda for BU Powder in the region.
This position will manage the regional solutions and development labs, evaluates the potential and practicality of development projects and relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish two key deliverables by:
- Localization and fine-tuning existing products/processes/services, incremental development, value engineering and color development as well as support to customers (via sales) and production.
- Development of new products within the agreed timeframe and with the agreed performance characteristics and costing analysis to ensure these can be commercialized to deliver against the profit targets
The Development and Solutions Lab Manager will be located at AkzoNobel Reading, PA - flying Hills Corporate Center location.
- Provides input for the BU and R&D strategy and implements the BU and R&D strategy in the region
- Manages the activities in multiple Development/Solutions labs and works closely with the Regional Management Team to ensure matrix structure operates efficiently
- Responsible for delivery on variable cost savings initiatives, product improvements, color delivery, customer requests, complaints and launch of new product developments
- Partners with commercial, marketing & manufacturing functions to deliver commercial value by supporting customer trials, providing re-work dispositions and programs to improve RFT
- Manages the prioritization of the workload via predefined processes in accordance with business needs and optimizes efficiency
- Manages regional R&D performance with predefined KPI’s and reports the KPI’s along with the on-going and planned major R&D activities in a monthly report
- Leverages the global organization to identify and implement best practice for products, processes and ways of working of Development & Solution Labs.
- Develops technical project plans for New Product Development projects and Technology Platform projects that document program goals and objectives, scope, budget, risk management plans and program and project resource. Ensures that each project is managed through agreed deliverables and milestones and delivers the desired result
- Works with the marketing and commercial team to help create the company long term product development priorities in the region
- Drives project management and product development best practices, standards, methods, and tools, according to the Innovation Core Process (including Focus) for the Regional Development Team
- Oversees key development projects, processes and performance reports, data and analysis and reports regularly
- Develops and maintains relations with internal and external suppliers and experts to stay abreast of new technologies which may translate to product development projects
- Drives knowledge management by keeping up with internal and external
- developments and ensures development, transfer and retention of knowledge and
- information within the organization
- Attracts, leads, coaches, appraises and develops team members, ensuring
- short- and long-term resource planning
- Ensures job descriptions are in place, sets objectives for team members, reviews development and provides clear, open and constructive feedback on performance combined with the appropriate actions
- Represent AkzoNobel as a technology leader to colleagues, suppliers, and the coatings industry and conducts high level technical reviews with internal and external customers
- Drives engagement and manages talent development and succession planning
- Manages and plans relevant budget and proactively manages the costs
- Is familiar with all the applicable corporate as well as site and laboratory policies/procedures with regard to personal conduct, HSE and Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs (PSRA) and quality standards and acting in compliance with all applicable regulations
Education & Experience
- Technical educational in relevant field, e.g. chemistry, chemical technology, etc.
- Typically +10 years of relevant experience with Master’s Degree, or
- Typically 7-8 years of relevant experience with PhD
- Deep understanding of the Powder market, customers and value chain
- Expert technical knowledge of Powder Coatings
- At least 10 years proven track record of industrial experience in multi-national organization
- Thorough knowledge of the Paints and Coatings business requirements and operations
- Extensive knowledge of key R&D processes
- Experience influencing in a matrix organization, result oriented and strategic thinker
- Has been exposed to working and impacting globally
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills in English at all levels and across all functions
- Pro-active, pragmatic self-starter, high safety awareness
- Ability to think differently and a continuous drive to improve him or herself as well as to inspire the organization
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Requisition ID: 2925