Auto req ID: 4867
Title: Design Engineer - Electric Machines
Job Function: Engineering
Company: Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
We are paving more roads to Harley-Davidson by developing exhilarating new products, creating broader access to our iconic brand, and building a stronger dealer network. We can't do it without the best and brightest. Step one of this strategic acceleration is adding talent who can blow the doors wide open with innovation and creativity while staying true to the Harley-Davidson brand and legacy. We are focused on the next 115 years. Are you in?
The Harley-Davidson Motor Company Product Development Center (PDC) located in Wauwatosa, WI is home to the mantra - You dream it. We build it. Join our team as a Design Engineer - Electric Machines.
The Design Engineer-Electric Machines is responsible for the development of Electric Machine components, as part of EV powertrain system, including electromagnetic design, high voltage connectors, mounting, thermal and motor controls as a validated subsystem meeting all functional targets. This position reports directly to the Manager – EV Manager Motor.
This is what you'll do:
- Perform Electric Machine design and development process supporting vehicle, system and component-level requirements, program deliverables, overall vehicle development schedule, and budget planning and scheduling.
- Perform design, analysis, development, and validation of Electric Machine components, and effectively supports subsystem and vehicle-level integration to ensure high-quality performance.
- Utilize world-class modeling and analysis tools to support electromagnetic, thermal and mechanical design (e.g. ANSYS Maxwell)
- Effectively manage design changes for Electric Machine components.
- Support all Engineering Design and Release requirements for Electric Machine components as part of production handoff process to Delivery Team.
- Lead investigation into internal, assembly and customer quality issues for timely, high-confidence resolution. Support robust problem-solving methodology (8D, Red-X, etc.) to define root cause and develop issue resolution path.
- Serve as subject-matter expert (SME) for Electric Machine design and development.
- Support development of program-specific component specifications that ensure compliance to all Vehicle, System and Component requirements (incl. performance, EMC, high voltage safety, thermal, reliability, and durability).
- Meet timing and cost objectives (part cost and NRE) for all Electric Machine components.
- Support hardware development within framework of vehicle program functional rollout plan.
- Develop and synchronize the phased calibration and development plan for the subsystem with program milestones and in conjunction with the vehicle level software release schedule.
- Lead the Problem Resolution and tracking process (e.g. JIRA) and provide feedback on status to tracked problems.
- Work in conjunction with purchasing and supplier development to ensure that only qualified suppliers are selected for current and future programs.
- Support opportunities for process improvements, tool development, and knowledge capture and retention.
- Organize and lead supplier meetings, as required.
- Develop team capability to support future cost-effective electric powertrain development for global EV market.
Character traits and related responsibility:
- Works with all levels of management, including top management
- Communicates directly with management and cross-functional leaders as required.
- Must display ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans.
- Must be able to accept personal responsibility and accountability for major analytical and planning assignments.
- Strong teamwork skills. Ability to develop consensus and move the program forward. Develop win-win situations.
Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or a related technical field
We're looking for someone with at least 3 years of related experience. In addition, the successful candidate will have demonstrated the following:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans.
- Demonstrated understanding of vehicle development & system integration process.
- Knowledge of electric machine applications in Electric Vehicles or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV).
- Hands on experience in electric powertrain systems validation and diagnostics.
- Familiar with industry standards for electric motor design and manufacturing, especially automotive.
- Knowledge of Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) of electric machines and vehicle systems.
- Knowledge of component design standards such as NEMA.
- General understanding of automotive industry standards such as SAE, ISO, etc.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Sense of urgency and strong attention to detail.
Preferred Qualifications: (In addition to required):
- Experience managing early-stage or growth-mode teams, especially in Electric Machines.
- Experience with automotive OEM or Tier-1 supplier for production-intent development programs.
- Knowledge of automotive power electronics - Inverter, DC-DC Converters, etc.
- Knowledge of automotive energy storage subsystems (HV Battery) and its controls.
- Demonstrated understanding of ISO26262 – Functional Safety.
- Practical experience with Diagnostics verification and compliance.
- Significant experience in EV development & system integration.
At Harley-Davidson it is not just about what degree you have or what you know. Our employees live by our Milwaukee Iron guiding principles; our global truths for how we live, work and ride. Simply put, this is how we show up for our stakeholders in all ways, every day. Our Milwaukee Iron principles are:
We walk in the boots of those we serve.
We rebel for what we believe in.
We shoot straight and live true.
We welcome all to come as they are.
We fight the good fight, always!
We offer an inclusive compensation package for all full-time salaried employees including, but not limited to, annual bonus programs, health insurance benefits, a 401k program, onsite fitness centers and employee stores, employee discounts on products and accessories, and more. We believe that employees do their best work when they are free to be themselves. This means our dress code is relaxed, and all types of work styles are welcomed.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States.
Direct Reports: No
Travel Required: 0 - 10%
Visa Sponsorship: This position is eligible for visa sponsorship
Relocation: This position is eligible for domestic relocation assistance (within posted country)