AkzoNobel Coatings, North America
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including International, Interpon, Sikkens and Chemcraft – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we are active in over 150 countries and employ around 35,000 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high-performance products and services our customers expect. In North America, we’ve been producing innovative, high-performance coatings since 1888. Today, you can find AkzoNobel’s products supporting industries ranging from aerospace to consumer electronics, infrastructure, transportation, home décor, furniture and marine vessels. With a regional headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee, AkzoNobel’s North America operation includes 3,500 employees at more than 30 manufacturing sites, technology labs and business offices. For more information please visit
In North America, AkzoNobel provides performance coatings products to customers through four operating business units: Powder Coatings, Automotive & Special Coatings, Industrial Coatings and Marine, Protective & Yacht Coatings.
This position is a Swing Shift
Rotating each week 1st Shift 7am- 3pm / 2nd shift 3pm-11 pm
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company, with leading market positions and brands in countries around the world. We operate in a number of important market segments ranging from buildings and infrastructure to transport, industrial and consumer goods. We’re also the sector leader in sustainability and are number one in the renowned Dow Jones Sustainability Index. In practical terms, that means our sustainable solutions are in your lives, and those of your friends and family, every day. We’re the people that make it possible for you to do what you need to do.
Under the supervision of the Production Supervisor, ensures proper running and cleaning of production equipment in the safe manufacture of powder coatings. Actively assumes the back-up lead person (if properly trained) in the absence of the Production Lead.
Production Operators must be able to work an eight (8) hour day, afternoon or night schedule. Weekend and other overtime work is expected from time to time.
• Packaging and palletizing of finished product into boxes, drums, gaylords and super sacks from 15 to 2000 lbs.
• General housekeeping.
• Cleaning grinders, extruders, testing equipment and charging equipment.
• Loading and blending of dry materials.
• Operation of grinder and extruder production lines.
• Fork lift operation.
• Floor scrubber operation.
• Dust collector filter replacement on the grinders.
• Sampling of raw materials and/or finished goods.
• Recording of back variables and logging data.
• Performing all work safely and injury-free. Must actively participate in improving department and plant safety performance.
• Perform duties according to ISO 9001 procedures and environmental requirements.
• Attend and participate in Reading plant programs/committees/training as required, such as Department Safety, Plant Safety, Behavioral Safety, Housekeeping Audit Teams, ISO, TRACC, Life Saving Rules or any other safety programs. Participates in the Reading or Warsaw Safety Journey. Adheres to the Golden Principle which is simply to intervene to stop work if conditions or behavior are unsafe.
• Help provide training advice and guidance to co-workers.
• Assist in parts room area: cleaning of bowls, totes and the cleaning of screws and misc. parts.
• Backup Duties during the Production Lead’s absence: Perform the duties of the Production. Lead in his/her absence as outlined in the Production Lead Job Description.
• Must be 18 years of age.
• High School diploma required.
• Must have valid Driver’s License.
• Two – three years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
• Must be able to read, write and verbally communicate in English including process sheets containing product process directions and safety precautions. Must be able to write legibly and record results accurately.
• Must be able to calculate various measurements using basic math skills. Must be able to read and operate scales knowing the difference between gross/tare/net weights. Must understand the relationship between kilograms, grams and pounds.
• Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
• Working knowledge of SAP R/3.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
• Strong organization skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; communicates effectively with various employee groups, contractors and management.
• Knowledge of Company policies and procedures.
• Requires daily contact with employees in other departments.
• Requires daily contact with shipping Co personnel
• Must be able to operate lift truck
• Must possess basic mechanical aptitude
• Must be able to physically enter dust collectors for cleaning and/or minor maintenance purposes.
• Cleaning involves the use of hand scrapers and other tools for cleaning.
• Ability to work Shifts.
• Overtime coverage is required, particularly for short-notice absences of other Shift members.
• May work in seated or standing positions for prolonged periods of time, performs sustained manual activities at moderate to heavy levels of exertion. Standing 90% of working day with frequent walking, intermittent stooping and bending with operating equipment is essential.
• Must be able to tolerate periodic hot, inside working conditions or cold outside conditions.
• Have no known sensitivity or history of skin or respiratory allergies to dust, dirt, or chemicals to which there may be workplace exposure if an allergic reaction could create a safety or health hazard.
• Must be able to hear process, fire and fork truck alarms, also plant page system.
• May use hand tools and operate fixed and mobile plant equipment such as fork lift, scissor lift, air motors, pliers, channel locks, screwdrivers and scrapers.
• Wears personal protective equipment including company provided uniforms.
• Must be able to frequently climb stairs or ladders.
• Must have sufficient dexterity and strength to operate process equipment, turn valves, etc.
• Must be able to lift 55 pounds
• Must be able to push/pull weights of up to 300 pounds.
Employment at AkzoNobel is contingent upon the successful completion of both a pre-employment background check and a drug screening. In some case, pre-employment physicals may also be required.
All candidates hired must be able to provide proper documentation of their eligibility to work in the US.
AkzoNobel is an E-Verify Employer.
AkzoNobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans (M/F/D/V).
Nearest Major Market: Reading PA