Engaged in the operation of EDM vertical and horizontal machining centers. Applies previous or OJT knowledge of machine shop practices, tool setup, and operating techniques to machine various part and components.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Reads and interprets 3D CAD models, blueprints, planning sheets, sketches, and related technical data to determine tooling requirements, setup procedures, control settings, and machining methods and sequences.
• Monitors master EDM schedule for upcoming projects, models, programs, and tooling.
• Set up EDM machining center with setup blocks, fixtures, clamps or any other necessary devises to receive and hold parts/components for machining operation.
• Loads and unloads parts/components from machining center using overhead hoist/crane.
• Calculates and sets machine controls to position spindle in relationship to work piece and to regulate factors, such as cutting depth, speed, feed and collate flow.
• Enters program commands in machine controller or retrieves preprogrammed instructions from data base.
• Adjusts operators needed based on manpower color code scheme from program sheet.
• Starts machine and monitors displays and machine operations to detect malfunctions.
• Stops machine to change cutting tools and setup according to required machining sequences or to measure parts for conformance to blueprint specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
• Operates machine manually to perform non-automated functions and when automatic programming is faulty or machine malfunctions.
• Enters commands or manually adjusts machine controls to correct malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining.
• Communicates with co-workers and EDM Supervisor to receive instructions and coordinate activities.
• May recommend measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product, and may suggest changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of the machine, shop, or department.
• Assists in solving work problems.
• Cleans work table of chips and gun drill oil when necessary.
• Other duties may be assigned or required for this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Training Experience: Between 1 to 5 years of any of the following, trade school, vocational education, work experience, OJT, or apprenticeship.
• Stand, walk, push, pull, reach overhead, and bend to the floor.
• Exert 1 to 25 pound of force 75% of time
• Exert 26 to 50 pound of force 20% of time
• Exert 50 plus pound of force 5% of time
Near acuity and accommodation are required for reading machine dial gages, blue prints, precision measuring instruments, and computer screens.