Kalmbach Media is currently seeking an Assistant Editor at Discover, a large, national science brand, based in our Waukesha office. The Assistant Editor serves a crucial role in writing and editing science content for the digital and print platforms of Discover, as well as Astronomy, a sister science brand at Kalmbach. Discover and Astronomy are part of Kalmbach Media's Science Group.
- Writes assigned stories (blog posts, section items, sidebars, reviews, features and more) for Discover and Astronomy digital platforms.
- Works closely with senior editorial to assign and edit story concepts to in-house and freelance writers.
- Assigns and edits in-house and freelance pieces for the websites.
- Contributes to story pitches and lineups of assigned magazine sections in coordination with senior editorial staff.
- Highly engaged, both in conceptualizing story concepts as well as in the editing and production of magazine articles.
- Solid reporting and writing skills, for stories and digital-friendly headlines.
- Maximum engagement with audience through social media channels.
- Maximum communication with art colleagues and those on the Digital Science Desk, particularly those on the Astronomy brand, as well as others throughout Kalmbach Media.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- One to two years' experience on a print or digital magazine, newspaper or related platform; however, exceptional entry-level candidates also will be considered.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, science, English or a related field.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to understand complex information and communicate it in simple terms to various audiences.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this position you must complete our online application and attach your resume along with:
- A detailed cover letter outlining your qualifications and experience as it relates to this position
- 3-5 writing samples
- Your salary requirements
We are located in Waukesha Wisconsin, about 20 minutes west of Milwaukee. We offer a customer focused work environment and excellent benefits!
Kalmbach Media Co. is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer as defined by the EEOC.