|Transit Planning Intern|
The Schedule and Planning Internship is designed to provide an introduction to transit planning at MCTS. Typical duties include assisting in providing support for transit planning activities, e.g., collection / verification of ridership data, analysis of performance data reports, responding to public requests, and participating in public meetings on transit projects.
Interns would be employed on a part-time temporary basis from September 2019 to June 2020. Hours would typically be from 10 – 20 per week (specific days and times to be determined). This position reports to the Planning Manager.
1. Assist with the collection / verification of ridership data.
2. Assist in studies or research associated with transit planning activities.
3. Assist with the creation of information on service changes, e.g. preparation of maps.
4. Assist with the MCTS NEXT Route Redesign project, e.g., public outreach / data analysis.
5. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor's or Graduate Degree program in Urban Planning, Geography, Business Administration or related field. Master's Degree program is preferred.
2. All applications must include the following information:
i. Name of Graduate Advisor or Instructor
iii. Telephone number
i. Undergraduate / graduate transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable). Priority will be given to applicants with cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better (4.0 scale)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Proficiency with Microsoft Office required. Knowledge of GIS / Adobe Suite is desirable.
2. Knowledge of transit planning and urban planning principles and practices.
3. Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills.
4. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
5. Ability to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships.
6. Ability to manage others.
7. Ability to present to others.
8. Ability to work independently.
Physical Requirements and Enviornmental Factors
1. Work is frequently conducted in an office or similar indoor environment relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Work may sometimes be performed riding bus routes, street environment or in the community. Incumbent may sometimes be exposed to hostile or irate individuals and areas with high crime rates.
2. Physical requirements are those described as sedentary work, which includes exerting ten (10) pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently and/or constantly having to lift, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
This is a Part-time Temporary position with a pay of $13.00 per hour plus the use of a MCTS M-Card for the term of employment. Selection will be made on the basis of qualifications and recommendations.
Milwaukee County Transit System is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age; protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law.