SUMMARY OF POSITION:
CNC Profile Grinder is responsible to set up and operate CNC grinding machines to perform a variety of complex machining operations on carbide and steel blanks. Perform frequent changeovers for small quantity custom orders. Maximize production efficiencies through simultaneous operation of more than one machine.
* Receive and review work assignments; verify that work pieces and routing match regarding count, type and proper sequence.
* Follow established procedures for machine set up, including; select proper grind wheels, bushings, collets and programs to be use; input tool and set up values; grind first piece, inspect, adjust as needed.
* Dress and form abrasive wheels using standard dressing devices. Mount and secure tools in machine. Set and adjust wheel spindle speeds, feed rate and travel stops.
* Run equipment in auto-cycle whenever possible, continually inspecting finished tools for correct dimensions.
* Set up and operate more than one machine whenever possible and when management determines that order size and cycle times are appropriate.
* Enter all production information into the data collection system.
* Monitor equipment performance; report problems and request required maintenance to avoid unnecessary downtime and machine damage or repairs.
* Perform SPC procedures on all jobs.
* Perform all other duties as assigned.
* Responsible for keeping area clean at all times.
Associates degree with emphasis in machine tool operation or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
* Previous experience with basic machine operation or related technical training.
* One year of direct machine setup and operation experience. Previous experience involving principles of grinding.
* Must be able to read, understand and follow written instructions and shop drawings.
* Above average math skills. Must be able to calculate appropriate machine settings and adjust accordingly. Must have good math and trigonometry skills.
* Must be able to use required precision measuring and testing equipment.
* Broad knowledge of cutting tool design and universal grinding procedures through using multi-axis CNC equipment.
* Computer literate, able to enter programs and directions.
* Strongly preferred candidates with previous experience operating CNC grinding equipment such as; Walter, Studer, ANCA, Star, Schutte, Rollomatic, Hawemat, Reinecker.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Frequent standing and walking in shop environment where machine coolant is present and may cause a slipping hazard. Standing and walking is not continuous as tool inspection requires frequent sitting to use magnification inspection equipment and data reporting terminals. Frequent use of hands and arms to make machine adjustments, load, unload and inspect parts. Able to visually read instructions, set up machine for individual custom operations, monitor and adjust machine controls during run cycle, read inspection equipment, use keyboard to enter data. Moderate lifting required changing wheels, move containers of tools. Individual grinding wheels may weigh up to 20 pounds.
General machine shop conditions in air-conditioned atmosphere. Work areas are clean and uncluttered but floors maybe slippery. Exposure to machine coolant on hands, arms and head while changing tools or performing set up of machine.
Resumes can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org