Classification: Administrative Staff- Full Time
Reports to: Manager of IT Application Services
Description: The Application Specialist is responsible for the ongoing development, enhancement, and integration of various enterprise applications. Position requires technical versatility and creativity to deliver applications that serve the University community. Application Specialist will leverage strong programming abilities and excellent communication skills to improve University processes and contribute ideas, solutions, and energy to a high-performing, motivated team. This position requires occasional evening and weekend hours.
• Support and maintain various enterprise applications including database management, system
enhancements, upgrades, reporting, and training.
• Assist with maintaining and modifying portal environment and custom developed applications.
• Communicate with end-users to evaluate business processes, assess needs, identify key
challenges, and define user requirements, project scope, and deliverables.
• Design and implement procedural systems to ensure the effective and efficient use and
delivery of services and information between enterprise systems.
• Provide reports, data extractions, scripts, status updates, and information from enterprise
systems for consumption by end users and team mates.
• Create and maintain thorough system, process, and end-user documentation.
• Maintain data security and integrity using industry standards and best practices.
• Assist with the support of development systems.
• Complete other duties as assigned by the Manager of IT Application Services.
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required; Major in Computer Science, Information Technology, or Software Engineering strongly preferred.
• 3 years experience in applications support, preferred.
• Familiar with concepts of programming and SDLC.
• Experience with ERP, or other large and complex, systems and interaction among multiples
• Experience with report writing/business intelligence applications desired; Cognos preferred.
• Experience in analyzing business/user requirements and project management preferred.
• General understanding of cloud technology concepts.
• Ability to interface between disparate systems.
• Experience with developing and using RESTful APIs.
• Experience with relational databases, including database design, queries, stored procedures,
triggers and functions; MS SQL Server required.
• Demonstrated ability to quickly acquire new technical skills.
• Ability to estimate time requirements for tasks and to deliver results as scheduled.
Human Relations Skills:
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills. • Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills.
• Service-oriented attitude.
• Ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines.
• Ability to manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to coordinate multiple assignments/projects simultaneously.
• Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
• Ability to maintain an effective working relationship with a diverse group of colleagues and end
• Candidates must be willing and able to support and advance the University mission.
Job Number: #1718-136
Please reference job #1718-136 and submit cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources Carroll University
100 N. East Avenue Waukesha, WI 53186
Carroll University does not discriminate in any manner contrary to law or justice on the basis of race, color, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran's status in administration of programs or in the employment of faculty and staff. EOE