This position provides functional support to the maintenance department to install, repair, rebuild and otherwise maintain heavy duty and highly complicated precision machine tools and equipment requiring a broad knowledge of mechanics, machine design, machining practices and techniques.
· Lay out repair parts; perform minor fabrication of parts using mills, lathes, grinders, etc.
· Perform basic welding using established practices and techniques.
· Proceed with minimum supervision; instructions and guidance provided on repairs to project work when required.
· The use of ladders, raised platforms, caged lifts, and manual climbing on equipment at various heights up to and including 35 feet is required.
· Diagnose machine malfunctions and operating difficulties; effect repairs and adjustments, either temporarily to keep machine in production, or permanently if required and feasible.
· Rebuild machines and overhaul troublesome components and attachments to involve dismantling, inspection, machining and/or replacement of purchased parts.
· Perform skilled operations including but not limited to fitting and aligning of bearings, spindles and shafts.
· Oversee work of Machine Repair apprentices and trainees, or other trades personnel of lower classification.
· Perform machinist's work having to do with the installation of new machine tools or relocation of existing machines to involve erection, leveling, fitting, and aligning operations.
· Work from machine design drawings, specifications, and handbook formulas.
· Perform general maintenance duties as assigned.
· Complete all required paperwork, quality records, documents, etc.
· Comply with all safety and work rules and regulations.