POSITION-SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist provider in the assessment, examination, treatment, and other management of patients in the clinical setting. Prepare the examination and treatment rooms, instruments and equipment for patient care. Operate equipment; give injections or treatments under the direction of the Provider and/or Charge Nurse.
Education: MUST HAVE A CURRENT CERTIFICATION MEDICAL ASSISTANT OR ABLE TO OBTAIN LICENSE WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF EMPLOYMENT. Mandatory Certification in CPR mandatory. Must have experience in EMR or EHR. Please note that this is not a Certified Nursing Assistant. Please apply only if you meet the above requirements.
- Review the providers schedule the day before to determine the appropriateness of the schedule and that the necessary equipment is available the day of the patient’s visit that will be used for the patient’s examination.
- Review the schedule at the beginning of the session to determine all necessary patient information/charts are available in the department.
- Greet patient in the waiting area, keep patients informed of delays and room patients
- Obtain patient vital signs, including but not limited to blood pressure, pulse rate, height, weight, etc.
- Establish and document on the patient progress note a detailed explanation for the purpose of the patient’s visit.
- Instruct patient on how to prepare for physician's examination. Ask the provider, if uncertain of the type of examination the provider’s plans to perform based on the information medical assistant obtained initially from the patient.
- Staff the assigned Providers schedule.
- Comply with all policies and procedures related to the clinic and corporation.
- Check for and assist with obtaining signed patient consents i.e. HIPPA, Consent to Treat, etc., Enter these forms in the appropriate location in the chart.
- Maintain supply and inventory for exam room and medical assistant cart. Stock and prepare rooms/carts according to provider's specialty prior to and at the end of each clinical session.
- Review patient charts and EMR records for completeness of the progress note and encounter form by the end of the session and report to the provider.
- Contact patients and record on the appropriate form all efforts to remind them of their appointment at least one to two days in advance.
- Work collaboratively with the provider for the coordination of quality health care to the clinic's patients.
- Inform scheduled patient of any delays due to physician delays, emergencies, schedule backup, etc.
- Provide to patients educational material to read related to the visit before or after a visit as is appropriate
- Screen all messages to providers and review with the provider how they want the messages handled.
- Perform other job related duties, as may be assigned by the Charge Nurse or Lead nurse.
- POSITION REQUIREMENTS
EEO/AA: Milwaukee Health Services provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Milwaukee Health Services complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
- Experience: At least 2-4 years in a clinic, physician’s office or hospital setting as a Certified Medical Assistant.
- Expertise: Extensive knowledge of Medical Terminology and Electronic Medical Records (EMR). Proficiency in conversational Spanish is a plus. Please specify specific experience in Behavioral Health Medical Assisting