Transit Bus Driver
Responsible for transporting people from one place to another for work, errands, school, or other reasons. Takes fares from passengers, issues receipts, announces routes, and ensures passengers get out safely.
- Transport people from one place to another on a transit bus.
- Operate bus by applying brakes, starting and stopping engine.
- Drive regular routes on a schedule.
- Announce next destinations.
- Transport passengers on chartered trips or sightseeing tours.
- Drive through traffic and obey traffic laws.
- Deal with unruly passengers.
- Stop frequently, often only a few blocks apart and when a passenger requests a stop.
- Collect fares and issue change.
- Answer questions about schedules, routes, and transfer points.
- Report accidents or other traffic disruptions to a central dispatcher, and follow directions when using an alternate route.
- Assist disabled passengers.
- Check the bus tires, lights, and oil and do other basic maintenance.
- Follow state and federal transit regulations.
- Keep passengers informed of delays.