Floor Sander & Finisher
Responsible for using machinery to smooth away imperfections and rough edges on floors. Inspects floors and determines proper method and sander to use in process.
- Remove imperfections and smooth wood.
- Use sanders and other tools to smooth floors.
- Confer with carpenters on scope of project.
- Provide estimations on scope and budget.
- Apply coats of varnish or polyurethane.
- Work with several different types of wood.
- Calibrate floor sanding machines.
- Measure spaces.
- Cover furniture with drop cloths to protect fabric.
- Examine floors and remove excess glue after process.
- Use implements such as a knife or wood chisel.
- Sand wood surfaces by hand using sandpaper.
- Apply sealant using brushes or rollers, often applying multiple coats.
- Apply filler compound.
- Sink protruding nails.
- Use smaller devices called edgers to get into small spaces.
- Refasten or replace pieces of old flooring before sanding.
- Sweep and vacuum floor after sanding.
- Finish floors with buffer or light sander.