The Milwaukee Art Museum is seeking a qualified candidate for a full-time curatorial assistant position. The curatorial assistant will work closely with two curators—the Demmer Curator of 20th and 21st Century Design and the Abert Family Curator of American Art. The curatorial assistant will support the American Art and Design curators with day-to-day operations, including acquisitions, loans, exhibitions (rotations and installations), collection records, research, scheduling and general inquiries, and programming, including liaising with support groups.
The position requires a high level of professionalism and discretion, excellent organizational abilities, a general knowledge of art and design history, strong research skills, and demonstrated writing capabilities. The curatorial assistant will be able to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently. The desire to work collaboratively and interface with many departments in a team environment is necessary. The Milwaukee Art Museum has a commitment to diversity and inclusion, within the museum and the communities that we serve.
Bachelor’s degree with a major in art or design history required; Master’s preferred.
Typical duties include:
- Process and maintain paper and electronic records related to new acquisitions, deaccessioned works, and other permanent collection objects.
- Create and manage checklist information for special exhibitions and gallery rotations
- Conduct research on acquisitions, permanent collection objects, and other topics as needed
- Assist with creation of copy for labels, blog posts, and other written texts
- Manage lectures, exhibition events, and other departmental special events
- Secure rights and reproductions permissions for special exhibitions
Milwaukee Art Museum is an EOE/M/W/Vets/Disability Employer.