Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB is seeking a Technical Services Supervisor for its Portland, Tennessee location. This role is responsible for Supervision of the Tool & Die Associates and all activities of the Tool & Die Department including the repair and maintenance to molds, dies for the product lines in accordance with plant's budget expectation relative to safety, cost, quality and service. Responsible for having and maintaining expertise in modern tool & die techniques, planning and control of systems as well as state of the art injection molding techniques. Responsible for the Supervision of the Mold Techs and Molders across all shifts and all activities associated with the Molding Process. Responsible for the Supervision of the Steel Stamping personnel and all activities related to Steel Stamping Your responsibilities
- Assist in providing technical support for the development of new products and modifications of existing products to include the establishment of basic design standards and specifications, prototype modeling, tooling and testing to insure design compliance with established standards
- Implement modern innovative tooling maintenance and repair techniques and equipment necessary to facilitate volume production of a variety of product.
- Interface with other departments concerning existing tooling capabilities and evaluate and improve these processes.
- Assist in planning and implementation processes including as required, design or specifications for tooling or other equipment, procurement, installation, start up, training and appropriate documentation for manufacturing and maintenance departments.
- Provide input to annual capital programs and implement items of the program from appropriate request to start up
- Gathers information to evaluate current work processes to determine the flow of work, time requirements, costs and duration.
- Instruct others in continuous process improvements, including the use of various problem solving and lean techniques such as process mapping, value streams, 5's and OEE
- Support corporate Engineering with new tooling design and projects as requested.
- Supervise the activities of the tool and die department responsible for the repair, alteration and rebuilding of compression and injection molds, progressive dies and facility assembly machinery. Recommend and purchase related metal working equipment. This includes the preparation of records and reports of the work performed and alteration/modification to tooling and related equipment.
- Monitor the tooling and overtime budgets to insure expenditures are within limits
- Consult with the Quality Control and Production Departments on quality discrepancies, production difficulties and recommend solutions.
- Write technical reports, make presentations and assist with internal training programs as required.
- Provide technical support to the manufacturing and maintenance department to resolve problems and enhance its ability to maintain tooling in a highly productive state with a minimum of downtime.
- Supervise the activities of all the Molding Personnel as required to achieve departmental goals and objectives as well as recommend improvements in processes and equipment.
- Supervise the activities of the Steel Stamping Department as required to meet all goals and objectives. Recommend equipment and process improvements and implement any changes as required.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or Industrial Engineering from 4 year college or university or proof of completion of a 4 year Apprenticeship Program, including related course of study in Tool & Die or Mold Making.
- Must have prior tooling experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably consisting of processes of high volume injection molding and assembly
- 5 years minimum related experience in Tool & Die or Mold Making as a Journeyman in a manufacturing environment, preferably a high-volume plastic injection molding
- Experience is all Tool & Die machining processes including Turning, Milling, Grinding, EDM, and polishing
- Experienced/knowledgeable in welding of Tool Steels and other materials
- Experienced/knowledgeable in Heat Treating and Stress relieving of Tool Steels and applications
- AutoCad or other Engineering/Design software experience
- 3D Modeling Software Experience/Knowledge
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in United States.