For more than a century, the Greater Milwaukee Foundation (GMF) has been inspiring philanthropy, serving donors and strengthening communities. Together with its donors and many community partners, the Foundation guides and shares a collective vision that Greater Milwaukee becomes a vibrant, economically thriving region comprised of welcoming and inclusive communities that provide opportunity, prosperity and a high quality of life for all.
You can make a difference, as we are seeking a Senior Director of Civic Engagement! The Senior Director of Civic Engagement is responsible for leading community engagement efforts to advance the Foundation’s strategic priorities, including building constituencies, identifying and commissioning research that advances the Foundation’s and community’s knowledge related to strategic priorities, leading public policy and advocacy work and convening partners. This position works with appropriate staff, GMF leadership, the community at large, public officials and non-profits. The incumbent is part of a team advancing community leadership objectives and is a key strategic partner.
- Engages community partners who are working on strategies aligned with the Foundation’s community leadership priorities.
- Serves as a convener and knowledge broker, bringing together a broad-base of community leaders, public officials, nonprofit partners, donors and others in partnership with Foundation staff, to build common understanding and shared vision of strategies to address barriers / opportunities to improve educational outcomes for low-income families and children of color and to improve under-resourced communities.
- Manages information sharing across partnerships and coalitions within the Foundation’s priorities.
- Works with internal and external partners to build coalitions focused on advancing the Foundation’s commitment to racial equity and inclusion.
- Serves in community relations role in advancing the Foundation’s priorities, sharing information about the Foundation and serving as spokesperson.
- Engages GMF leaders and partners in the role of advocacy and public policy formation as it relates to the Foundation's priorities.
- Supports the development of communications (e.g. reports, case studies, research, social media) related to the civic engagement work and the Foundation’s priority areas.
- Presents research, reports, etc. to diverse stakeholders, including residents and neighborhood stakeholders, as well as traditional civic organizations.
- Identifies needed research and manages internal and external processes to fulfill those needs.
- Stays current with legislative activities, community agendas, emerging issues and policy formation, which may be opportunities or barriers to advancing educational outcomes or community building in low-income communities and communities of color.
- Stays current on relevant research reports, indicator findings and national research, translating findings to the local context so they are relevant and useful.
- Supports broad-scale engagement efforts, such as On the Table MKE.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree or other advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Seven (7) or more years of experience in related responsibilities such as community advocacy, non-profit leadership, public policy, external or governmental affairs required.
- Extensive experience dealing with a broad range of individuals and groups as it relates to public policy formation, local and state governmental affairs and community affairs required.
- Experience in translating complex data and information into understandable presentations for various audiences required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, proof of auto insurance and reliable transportation.
- In depth knowledge of the public policy, legislative processes, community planning, advocacy and Wisconsin's non-profit community.
- Demonstrated facilitation and leadership skills with the ability to convene groups of diverse individuals on complex topics.
- Ability to sustain relationships and networks within the community.
- Ability to public speak and communicate in an understandable and confident manner.
Equal Opportunity Employer