The Wisconsin Humane Society (WHS) is a private nonprofit organization whose mission is to build a community where people value animals and treat them with respect and kindness.
Founded in 1879, the Wisconsin Humane Society has been saving the lives of animals in need for 136 years. WHS operates shelters in Milwaukee, Ozaukee and Racine County. We receive no general government funding and we are not part of any national umbrella organization. As the largest shelter in the state of Wisconsin, WHS offers the following specialized services:
- A comprehensive adoption program that matches 10,000 homeless animals with new families; there are no time or space limits for any animals in our adoption program. We receive nearly all the area's surrendered animals, as well as animals from local and state animal control facilities, and animals transferred from other shelters. We are the stray animal holding facility for Racine and Ozaukee Counties only.
- Lifesaving care for 24,000 animals annually, including more than 5,000 wild animals.
- Spay/neuter services for animals from low-income households.
- A pet food bank to assist families with pets through tough financial times.
- Educational programs for children and adults designed to teach compassion, respect and responsible care for animals.
- Intervention programs for children to end neglect and abuse and break the link between violence against animals and humans.
- A foster program for animals in domestic violence situations.
- Dog training classes for dogs and puppies at our Milwaukee and Ozaukee Campuses.
- The Wildlife Rehabilitation Center that provides rescue, rehabilitation and release for more than 5,000 wild animals annually, at our Milwaukee Campus.
All full-time positions have competitive salaries and the following benefits:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- 403b plan
- Short term disability insurance
- Long term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Flexible benefits plan
- Paid vacation, personal days and holidays
- WHS employee discounts (adoption fees, retail, etc.)