To be a national leader in the education and development of the next generation of physicians and scientists; to discover and translate new knowledge in the biomedical sciences; to provide cutting-edge, interdisciplinary and compassionate clinical care of the highest quality; to improve the health of the communities we serve.
Approximately 1,350 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) physicians and more than 500 nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other health care practitioners provide adult patient care as the Medical College Physicians and pediatric patient care through Children’s Specialty Group, a joint venture with Children’s Hospital and Health System. The Medical College of Wisconsin physician practice includes doctors in every specialty and subspecialty of medicine.
Each year, MCW providers, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and psychologists care for more than 425,000 patients, representing more than 1.6 million patient visits.
MCW providers practice at three major affiliates - Froedtert Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin, and the Zablocki VA Medical Center - and many other hospitals and clinics in the Milwaukee area.
There are more than 1,260 students enrolled in degree-granting educational programs at the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW). This includes 810 medical students, and more than 450 graduate students.
In addition, MCW faculty supervise approximately 650 physicians in residency training and 250 physicians in fellowship training through the Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals. Approximately 200 scientists are engaged in postdoctoral research fellowship training through the Office of Postdoctoral Education.
MCW works with national and international medical specialty societies and community hospitals to accredit approximately 200 continuing medical education activities annually for physicians and other health professionals.
The Medical College (MCW) of Wisconsin is a major national research center, in fact, the largest research institution in the Milwaukee metro area and 2nd largest in Wisconsin.
In FY 2011-12, faculty received more than $166 million in external support for research, teaching, training and related purposes, of which more than $152 million was for research. This total includes highly competitive research and training awards from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
In the federal government’s FY 2012, MCW received approximately $95.5 million in NIH funding and ranked 42nd among the nation’s 136 medical schools receiving NIH research funding. This is the highest rank MCW has received and places MCW in the top third of medical schools receiving NIH funding.
MCW’s research enterprise is focused on strategic, prioritized areas of research involving interdisciplinary collaboration among scientists and physicians with the goal of rapidly translating discoveries into advances for patient care. MCW faculty conducted more than 2,000 research studies, including clinical trials, in FY 2011-12.
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) invests significantly in expanding its community mission to build strategic community-academic partnerships that have the greatest impact on Wisconsin’s most critical health needs. More than 150 faculty from over 20 departments and centers are working with greater than 350 diverse community groups to advance public and community health in the metro Milwaukee area and throughout Wisconsin.
In FY 2011-12, Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) faculty and students reported 30 new discoveries and inventions to MCW’s Office of Technology Development. The portfolio consists of approximately 150 technologies covered by more than 250 pending and issued U.S. and foreign patients. To bring these new technologies and related products to market, MCW has research and development affiliations with more than 30 campus institutions, major universities, research institutions and health care organizations, as well as government and venture capital groups in Wisconsin and elsewhere. MCW has more than 50 technology license agreements with pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies.
Celebrating 120 Years: 1893-2013 In 2013, the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) marks the 120th anniversary of the institution’s founding. It is also the 100th anniversary of MCW’s long and formative years as the Marquette University School of Medicine.
MCW began as the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons, founded on May 20, 1893. On January 14, 1913, the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Milwaukee Medical College merged to become the Marquette University School of Medicine.
In 1967, Marquette University, due to financial constraints, terminated its sponsorship of the medical school. Since then, the school has continued as a private, freestanding institution. The name was changed in 1970 to the Medical College of Wisconsin.
From these roots, MCW has grown into a nationally recognized education, research and clinical powerhouse. MCW has more than 15,000 living alumni. Learn more about MCW's history.