Our continuing mission is to provide the safest, most efficient aerospace system in the world.
We continue to improve the safety and efficiency of flight. We are responsive to our customers and are accountable to the taxpayer and the flying public.
* Safety is our passion. We are the world leaders in aerospace safety.
* Quality is our trademark. We serve our country, our stakeholders, our customers, and each other.
* Integrity is our character. We do the right thing, even when no one is looking.
* People are our strength. We treat people as we want to be treated.
What We Do:
We're responsible for the safety of civil aviation. The Federal Aviation Act of 1958 created the agency under the name Federal Aviation Agency. We adopted our present name in 1967 when we became a part of the Department of Transportation. Our major roles include:
* Regulating civil aviation to promote safety
* Encouraging and developing civil aeronautics, including new aviation technology
* Developing and operating a system of air traffic control and navigation for both civil and military aircraft
* Researching and developing the National Airspace System and civil aeronautics
* Developing and carrying out programs to control aircraft noise and other environmental effects of civil aviation
* Regulating U.S. commercial space transportation