The Human Resources Director reports to the Vice-President for Finance and Administration/CFO, and provides the leadership necessary to foster a workplace environment consistent with the mission of Mount Mary University.
The Director provides professional support in the following areas: recruitment, selection, retention, wage and salary administration, legal compliance, employee benefits, orientation and training, employee relations, policies and procedures, employee communications and employee events. The Director promotes the well-being of all employees by providing appropriate options to reduce risk and promote good health through employee development, career management programs, and the facilitation of human resources forecasting for strategic personnel planning.
- Ensure university compliance with all federal, state, and local laws related to employment, training, benefits and compensation. Remain current with human resource and employment law.
- Oversee employee benefit programs including medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement, paid time off, unemployment and workers compensation.
- Serve as internal consultant to university supervisors and employees on personnel issues affecting performance, working relationships, disciplinary action or termination. Serve as the Harassment Officer of the University.
- Coordinate new employee orientation as well as ongoing orientations in order to develop an understanding for and appreciation of the mission of the university.
- Further develop human resources policies, procedures, programs and services, so that the mission remains fully integrated with the culture of the University.
- In accordance with Strategic Plan, direct human resource functions involving strategic planning/implementation, the establishment of workforce metrics and employee development.
- Establish credibility throughout the University as an effective listener and problem solver of issues.
In conjunction with the President and Council, oversee the administration of salaries, wages, contracts and the appraisal process.
- Supervise the Coordinator of Benefits and Employee Well-Being and the Human Resources Assistant
- Oversee Human Resources record keeping related to new hires, employee appraisals, promotions, transfers, separations and exit interviews; as well as revisions associated with job descriptions and employee handbooks.
- Prepare an annual Human Resources budget and other reports as requested.
- Represent the University at professional organization meetings, actively participate in the Society for Human Resource Management and serve on University committees.
- All other duties as assigned by the Vice-President for Finance and Administration/CFO.
Mount Mary University
- Bachelor’s degree required (preferably) in Human Resources or a related field, Master’s/PHR Certification preferred
- Minimum 5 years progressive Human Resources generalist experience, preferably in an academic setting
- Knowledge of all Human Resources areas including benefits, compensation, employment, equal opportunity, and employee relations
- Commitment to excellence, high ethical standards, and maintenance of confidentiality
- Demonstrated success providing professional advice and exercising good judgment
- Broad perspective, objectivity and sensitivity in dealing with all human resources issues
- Ability to relate to people at all levels of an organization
- Effective oral and written communication skills
practices equal opportunity employment as part of our ongoing commitment to diversity in our workplace.