Assistant for Art Department (Part-Time) June 17, 2014
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Provide part-time administrative and technical support to the Art Department by performing a wide variety of clerical or specialized business functions and job-related duties to ensure the efficient operation of the department. The Art department has several program majors including Art, Art Education and Graphic Design.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain a welcoming and supportive demeanor to aid faculty and students in a fast-paced environment. This will include taking direction from multiple faculty via phone, e mail or text. This position requires diplomacy and proactive thinking and calm action as you must be may be assisting students as potential first point of contact during a crisis.
- Collect and deliver campus mail, process bulk mailings and manage multiple mailing lists.
- Conduct daily phone and computer communications to support Chair and faculty needs. Track faculty and student activities in order to prepare Board reports, student advising schedules, meeting agendas etc.
- Manage and track department budget expenditures, prepare check requests and monitor budgets on a quarterly basis to ensure correct accounting debits and credits.
- Organize and distribute work load and supervise student interns for administrative tasks. Provide performance feedback and mentoring around administrative duties.
- Maintain accurate files, purge and archive files as needed to maintain department records.
- Order office and classroom supplies and maintain inventory for office. Assist faculty in tracking classroom supplies orders and ensure accurate receipt of goods.
- Assist faculty and Chair in completing Course Assignment Forms and be the point of contact for Admissions and Registrar to monitor class enrollment, registration and admissions events in support of the Chair.
- Proactively seek opportunities to support Chair in completing assignments such as course description updates, schedules, scholarships, grant writing and other Chair duties.
- Act as Content Manager for the website for the department under the direction of the department Chair. Monitor department pages on MMU website and Facebook /other Social Media to support Chair and extend communications for the Department.
- Act as liaison to the Admin support for the School Dean on behalf of department.
- Support onboarding for new FT and adjunct faculty so that they quickly learn how to navigate the MMU systems for administrative functions such as budgets, reporting of grades, available student service resources of the University and other classroom and office manager systems.
- Act as liaison to IT and Facilities to report, monitor and track classroom and office needs. This includes the creation of help desk and facilities online work orders as well as troubleshooting on behalf of faculty until work order has been resolved.
- Support department faculty and staff before during and after special events to prepare announcements, certificates, display information, manage catering and maintenance requests and complete any follow-up correspondence.
- Support Marian Gallery and other special projects and initiatives of the department and track time separately.
- All other duties as assigned
Mount Mary University
- Five to seven years’ experience as an administrative assistant with ability to work with modest supervision and confidence to problem solve and communicate clearly.
- Commitment to working as a team member and working with diverse constituencies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with other college departments and divisions. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Experience in office management; attention to detail; demonstrate flexible and efficient time management.
- Sincere desire to assist students; strong customer service orientation.
- Outstanding communication (verbal and written), organizational, and administrative skills.
- Ability to utilize current computing technologies including Jenzabar, desktop publishing, spreadsheets, databases, and minor web development utilizing Microsoft Office.
- Proficient in all aspects of Outlook including managing calendars for Chair and supporting faculty calendar management. Includes setting up meeting using electronic searches, resource reservations, recurring meetings/ class schedules and all other Outlook capabilities.
- Ability to use Word and Excel to conduct department business including mail merge, database for modestly complex data sorting and tracking and all business communications.
- Ability to search and utilize Jenzabar for data that supports department chair and staff functions including generating reports as needed.
- Basic knowledge of graphic design programs to assist with development of exhibit signage and other gallery notes.
- Flexibility in working in a fast-paced environment with frequent interruptions and occasional emotionally-charged situations.
- Available to work Monday-Thursday to coincide with faculty and student peak hours.
practices equal opportunity employment as part of our ongoing commitment to diversity in our workplace. For confidential consideration please send cover letter, resume, and names of three professional references to
Mount Mary University
2900 N. Menomonee River Parkway
Milwaukee, WI 53222-4597